Therapies: Toronto Psychologists

What is a Psychologist?

What is the difference between a Counselling and Clinical Psycholgist? A Counselling Psychologist provides counselling intervention using the latest research and approaches that are specifically tailored to each individual. All Counselling Psychologists in Ontario require a PhD level education of university and post university training, continually update their qualifications and are always subject to some form of supervision.

Clinical Psychologists are responsible for the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment, and prevention of mental disorders. Clinical psychology includes both scientific research, focusing on the search for general principles, and clinical service, focusing on the study and care of patients. All Clinical Psychologists in Ontario require a PhD level education of university and receive training even after this concludes, they continually update their qualifications and are always subject to some form of supervision.

At KMA Therapy Toronto, we have several clinical and counselling psychologists who are taking on weekly patients. Your weekly sessions are usually long-term, and are usually eye-opening and help you grow – not only to achieve your current goals, but to help you learn more about yourself and push you past the things that are holding you back. In your weekly sessions, we may use things like cognitive behavioural therapy (which is commonly known as CBT), and psychodynamic psychotherapy. We may also use assessments or quizzes to identify what is the best approach for you and, in some cases, where the exact problems lie if you are unsure. We can help with a broad range of difficulties including depression, anxiety, marital difficulties, social anxiety, phobias, bipolar and obsessive compulsive disorder.

Our Psychologists at KMA are registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario. They are clinical and counselling psychologists who are invested in your development and progress in the therapeutic space. We also have several Masters and Doctoral level Psychotherapists who work under the supervision of these psychologists. To ensure that you have the very best experience, every practitioner at KMA is supervised by a member of CPO.

What do Counselling and Clinical Psychologists do?

Our Psychologists and Psychological team at KMA Therapy provide a wide array of services: from assessments, to diagnosis, to evidence-based treatment.

What is the difference between a Registered Psychologist and other disciplines like Psychotherapy, Counselling, and Coaching?

There are a few key differences between a Registered Psychologist (CPsych) and a mental health practitioner such as a psychotherapist, counselor, or social worker. The education required for a Psychologist in Ontario is at the PhD level in Psychology and the education required for the term ‘Psychological Associate’ in Ontario is a Master’s Degree in Psychology.

Social workers, counselors, and psychotherapists generally have Master’s level training in the field of social work, counselling, psychology, play/music/art therapy, or family therapy. However, since the terms ‘psychotherapist’ and ‘counselor’ are unregulated in Ontario, it’s always important to check and verify the education and training of your therapist. All therapists at KMA Therapy have a Masters level training and several are completing or have achieved doctoral education.

At KMA Therapy, our standards require that all of our therapists have a minimum of a Master’s degree in their field which is usually psychology or social work, and in addition, they are supervised to provide Psychological Services in Ontario by a Clinical or Counselling Psychologist. All of our therapists and Psychologists adhere to the standards of practice of the CPO (College of Psychologists of Ontario).

What Services can be provided through a Psychologist?

Psychologists at KMA Therapy provide Psychological Testing and Evaluation, Psychological/Psychology Services, Insurance-Covered Therapy, Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP), and Family/Marital Therapy.


Clinical and Counselling Psychology at KMA Therapy Toronto

To book an appointment with a psychologist, or to book your initial consultation, simply register online or call us at 416-487-6288. We have locations at Yonge and Eglinton and Liberty Village in Toronto. We look forward to meeting you!


You don’t have to go through anything alone. Let’s take the next step together.

Schedule an appointment

Or ask us a question